OVERVIEW OF WHOLEHEARTED (4 Lessons)
In Wholehearted, students will explore what it means to follow Christ with their whole hearts. By looking at the examples of Christ-followers from the Bible, students will learn how to stay fully-engaged in their personal journeys with Christ, as they influence and are influenced by others. Your student will be challenged to grow as a disciple who follows Christ wholeheartedly through the ups and downs of life.
MAIN TOPICS AND SCRIPTURE COVERED
- Lesson 1: Disciples Look Forward (Philippians 3:13b-14)
But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13b-14 (ESV)
- Lesson 2: Disciples Know Their Gifts (Romans 12:3-8)
Lesson two is designed to inform students of various spiritual gifts and help students discover their own (and each other’s) gifts and strengths. When we humbly use our spiritual gifts for God’s purposes, disciples create a strong and powerful community of believers.
- Lesson 3: Disciples Inspire (John 4:4-26, 39-42)
When someone inspires us, we have an energy and momentum that is greater than something we could muster up on our own. Lesson three is designed to make students aware of the power of an inspiring person, and how disciples use inspiration for the good of God’s kingdom.
- Lesson 4: Disciples Commit Wholeheartedly (Joshua 14:6-15)
Disciples follow through on their commitments—when it’s easy, and when it’s not so easy. Lesson four will challenge students to keep their commitments, even through the tough times, by learning to see obstacles and disappointments as opportunities to grow and refocus.
QUESTIONS YOU CAN ASK YOUR CHILD
- Is there anything from the past that still hurts or bothers you to think about? What can you learn from it? What promises of God can you lean on as you move forward?
- Do you have an idea what your spiritual gifts are? I think mine are…
- Who/what inspires you?
- Can you think of ways (big or small) God has worked in your life that might inspire others?
- Are there any obstacles that get in the way of keeping your commitments?
MEMORY VERSES: each lesson has a corresponding verse to memorize or meditate on
1. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13b-14 (ESV)
2. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
Romans 12:4-5 (ESV)
3. Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.”
John 4:39 (ESV)
4. Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.
1 Samuel 12:24 (ESV)
|Music by: Art Wellborn|
Art comes from a long line of ministers and musicians. His father was a pastor and his mother was the church pianist in every single church they served in, so he was raised in the middle of church and church music. He grew up singing and playing in just about every service with his two musically talented older sisters.
Art began playing drums in his Dad’s church in fifth grade and was convinced he would be a drummer. He then got a guitar in the sixth grade and after his dad taught him the only four chords a worship leader needs to know, guitar very quickly became his favorite instrument.
He began leading worship for the children’s ministry and youth ministry at First Woodway in Waco, TX when he was in high school, then after graduating he joined the youth staff as the worship leader.
He went to Baylor University and continued leading for the youth as well as serving in the Sunday morning worship band from 2011-2015.
In 2015 he moved to the Dallas area and served as a worship leader at Community Life Church. 10 months later, Art felt God calling him back to Waco to help start and lead worship for The Venue at First Woodway.
Art is married to Maddie, the love of his life, and has a dog named Tatum.
In addition to leading in The Venue, he travels with his band leading for various events.
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
Can you Help Serve for Believe Weekend?
Believe Weekend is January 25-27. Our theme is JESUS (PERIOD),and we are challenging every student to think about what they are going to do with JESUS.
We have over 300 students signed up and are planning for 500+ with our Coordinator Team. This gives us the ability to allow the students signed up NOW to invite their friends that may not have a personal relationship with Jesus.
Here are some ways to Help! The Team has also created some online links.
- Our Team has already confirmed 31 Host Homes, but we are in need of 9 to 10 more homes. HOST HOME SIGN UP HERE
- Students like to eat, and we like the personal touch that Oakwood provides through Meals at those Homes. MEAL PROVIDER SIGN UP
- We also have Volunteers during weekend that help behind the scenes, with clean up, food serving at Oakwood, etc. VOLUNTEERSIGNUP
- One big Serve Event is our Can Drive. We would like to have extra drivers to help transport students DRIVER SIGN UP HERE
As the Middle School Pastor at Oakwood Church since 2007, I have seen students come to Christ, move forward in their relationship with Jesus, and share the great message of the Gospel with their friends and others on mission trips and local serve projects.
My hope is for LIFE CHANGE on the INSIDE when LIFE IS CHANGING so rapidly on the OUTSIDE. The BEST PLACE to engage Middle School Students is during the crazy world of CHANGE that they are experiencing in Middle School.
Sign up for the Parent Email List
The most intense stage for the family is the Middle School time frame, where the Parent Repellent comes out and the question becomes, “Who is this kid I used to know?”
- Your sixth grade kid is moving from reflecting you and your family values to deflecting them in order to grow into an adult that will eventually look a lot like YOU.
- Your seventh grade student could possibly be playing 20 questions with you to find his or her authentic faith and guardrails for life.
- By eighth grade, we see this small, lovely child begin to grow into a physical adult body and correspond with you like an adult.
This is the launch pad for many things as they discover themselves, develop skills and talents, and decipher Spirituality in the process.
MY PASSION is to lead students to the heart of the Father by helping them own their faith in Jesus Christ and grow in an authentic relationship with Him. My greatest joy has been to see the light turn on when a student begins to KNOW the Father through Jesus, GROW in their relationship, and SHOW the love of Jesus in their daily lives.
Opportunities during the year include:
- Believe Weekend in January, when students spend time listening to the truth of God’s word and apply it to their lives.We see friends coming to Wednesday weekly meetings and Sunday Morning Weekly gatherings to have some fun with one another, but also to connect with Jesus in a relevant way geared for their age group.
- Our Servant Leadership Camp in June gives a nuts and bolts experience of what it means to serve with the love of Jesus and reflect on the love of Jesus on a personal level.
- We have fun events, concerts, lock-ins, and other activities that build community and give students a place to experience a loving and accepting environment.
We are on the journey together to Know God, and grow closer to Jesus every step of the way!
Friday, January 18, 2019, 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
All Middle School & High School girls and their mothers or special role models are invited to join us for a fun evening together!
Doors open at 6:00 pm and dinner is served at 6:30.
Join us for dinner, music, an encouraging message and journaling in God’s word. (Journaling Bibles will be included for each mother/daughter in the price of tickets.) $35.00/mother & daughter; $10 each additional daughter. Space is limited so register online today!
Our Speaker – Josh Griffin
Josh Griffin is one of the leading voices in youth ministry with over 20 years experience in the trenches, most recently as the High School Pastor at Saddleback Church. He’s the co-founder of DownloadYouthMinistry.com and been in 300+ episodes of the DYM Podcast with Doug Fields. He’s created more than 50 youth ministry resources and authored several books including 99 Thoughts for Small Group Leaders. Josh and his wife Angela have 4 kids, which now includes 2 teenagers of their own!