OVERVIEW OF WHOLEHEARTED (4 Lessons)
In Wholehearted, students will explore what it means to follow Christ with their whole hearts. By looking at the examples of Christ-followers from the Bible, students will learn how to stay fully-engaged in their personal journeys with Christ, as they influence and are influenced by others. Your student will be challenged to grow as a disciple who follows Christ wholeheartedly through the ups and downs of life.
MAIN TOPICS AND SCRIPTURE COVERED
- Lesson 1: Disciples Look Forward (Philippians 3:13b-14)
But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13b-14 (ESV)
- Lesson 2: Disciples Know Their Gifts (Romans 12:3-8)
Lesson two is designed to inform students of various spiritual gifts and help students discover their own (and each other’s) gifts and strengths. When we humbly use our spiritual gifts for God’s purposes, disciples create a strong and powerful community of believers.
- Lesson 3: Disciples Inspire (John 4:4-26, 39-42)
When someone inspires us, we have an energy and momentum that is greater than something we could muster up on our own. Lesson three is designed to make students aware of the power of an inspiring person, and how disciples use inspiration for the good of God’s kingdom.
- Lesson 4: Disciples Commit Wholeheartedly (Joshua 14:6-15)
Disciples follow through on their commitments—when it’s easy, and when it’s not so easy. Lesson four will challenge students to keep their commitments, even through the tough times, by learning to see obstacles and disappointments as opportunities to grow and refocus.
QUESTIONS YOU CAN ASK YOUR CHILD
- Is there anything from the past that still hurts or bothers you to think about? What can you learn from it? What promises of God can you lean on as you move forward?
- Do you have an idea what your spiritual gifts are? I think mine are…
- Who/what inspires you?
- Can you think of ways (big or small) God has worked in your life that might inspire others?
- Are there any obstacles that get in the way of keeping your commitments?
MEMORY VERSES: each lesson has a corresponding verse to memorize or meditate on
1. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13b-14 (ESV)
2. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
Romans 12:4-5 (ESV)
3. Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.”
John 4:39 (ESV)
4. Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.
1 Samuel 12:24 (ESV)