Monday in the Life of a Middle Schooler
“You can’t speak the truth in love if you don’t love who you are speaking to.” – Reggie Joiner
EMPATHY BEGINS WHEN WE UNDERSTAND THIS PHASE
What was life like for you as a middle schooler?
What is life like for middle schoolers today?
Crisis: Puberty – the turning point
Questions: Who do I like? Who likes me?
Goal: Provide stability.
Crisis: Self-Awareness – the turning point
Questions: Who am I?
Goal: Help them discover uniqueness.
This is where empathy begins:
knowing and loving our middle schoolers.
And empathy is where influence begins.
Understanding our people helps us minister effectively and maximize our influence.
SINCE MONDAY IS COMING…
We need to affirm their personal journey.
A MIDDLE SCHOOLER IS AFFIRMED WHEN…
- They are known.
- They are loved and liked.
- They are listened to more than they are talked to.
- They are met at their level.
- They get quality time with you.
*Affirmation is the fuel a middle schooler needs to face Monday.*
HOW CAN WE EQUIP MIDDLE SCHOOLERS FOR MONDAY?
- Remind them they belong.
- Give them Biblical teaching in a relevant way
- Match them with a leader who will check-in with them during the week
- Encourage them to lean into their community.
- Pray for them regularly
- Give them starting points so they can draw close to Jesus on their own
- Utilize social media to encourage throughout the week
MONDAY IS COMING….
“For this reason, I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” – Ephesians 3:14-19
Middle School Pastor at Saddleback Church
Twitter | Instagram