|Music by: Art Wellborn|
Art comes from a long line of ministers and musicians. His father was a pastor and his mother was the church pianist in every single church they served in, so he was raised in the middle of church and church music. He grew up singing and playing in just about every service with his two musically talented older sisters.
Art began playing drums in his Dad’s church in fifth grade and was convinced he would be a drummer. He then got a guitar in the sixth grade and after his dad taught him the only four chords a worship leader needs to know, guitar very quickly became his favorite instrument.
He began leading worship for the children’s ministry and youth ministry at First Woodway in Waco, TX when he was in high school, then after graduating he joined the youth staff as the worship leader.
He went to Baylor University and continued leading for the youth as well as serving in the Sunday morning worship band from 2011-2015.
In 2015 he moved to the Dallas area and served as a worship leader at Community Life Church. 10 months later, Art felt God calling him back to Waco to help start and lead worship for The Venue at First Woodway.
Art is married to Maddie, the love of his life, and has a dog named Tatum.
In addition to leading in The Venue, he travels with his band leading for various events.
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
Can you Help Serve for Believe Weekend?
Believe Weekend is January 25-27. Our theme is JESUS (PERIOD),and we are challenging every student to think about what they are going to do with JESUS.
We have over 300 students signed up and are planning for 500+ with our Coordinator Team. This gives us the ability to allow the students signed up NOW to invite their friends that may not have a personal relationship with Jesus.
Here are some ways to Help! The Team has also created some online links.
- Our Team has already confirmed 31 Host Homes, but we are in need of 9 to 10 more homes. HOST HOME SIGN UP HERE
- Students like to eat, and we like the personal touch that Oakwood provides through Meals at those Homes. MEAL PROVIDER SIGN UP
- We also have Volunteers during weekend that help behind the scenes, with clean up, food serving at Oakwood, etc. VOLUNTEERSIGNUP
- One big Serve Event is our Can Drive. We would like to have extra drivers to help transport students DRIVER SIGN UP HERE
As the Middle School Pastor at Oakwood Church since 2007, I have seen students come to Christ, move forward in their relationship with Jesus, and share the great message of the Gospel with their friends and others on mission trips and local serve projects.
My hope is for LIFE CHANGE on the INSIDE when LIFE IS CHANGING so rapidly on the OUTSIDE. The BEST PLACE to engage Middle School Students is during the crazy world of CHANGE that they are experiencing in Middle School.
Sign up for the Parent Email List
The most intense stage for the family is the Middle School time frame, where the Parent Repellent comes out and the question becomes, “Who is this kid I used to know?”
- Your sixth grade kid is moving from reflecting you and your family values to deflecting them in order to grow into an adult that will eventually look a lot like YOU.
- Your seventh grade student could possibly be playing 20 questions with you to find his or her authentic faith and guardrails for life.
- By eighth grade, we see this small, lovely child begin to grow into a physical adult body and correspond with you like an adult.
This is the launch pad for many things as they discover themselves, develop skills and talents, and decipher Spirituality in the process.
MY PASSION is to lead students to the heart of the Father by helping them own their faith in Jesus Christ and grow in an authentic relationship with Him. My greatest joy has been to see the light turn on when a student begins to KNOW the Father through Jesus, GROW in their relationship, and SHOW the love of Jesus in their daily lives.
Opportunities during the year include:
- Believe Weekend in January, when students spend time listening to the truth of God’s word and apply it to their lives.We see friends coming to Wednesday weekly meetings and Sunday Morning Weekly gatherings to have some fun with one another, but also to connect with Jesus in a relevant way geared for their age group.
- Our Servant Leadership Camp in June gives a nuts and bolts experience of what it means to serve with the love of Jesus and reflect on the love of Jesus on a personal level.
- We have fun events, concerts, lock-ins, and other activities that build community and give students a place to experience a loving and accepting environment.
We are on the journey together to Know God, and grow closer to Jesus every step of the way!