What is OSM NIGHT? OSM NIGHT is a large group WEDNESDAY NIGHT event geared for students to invest and invite a friend. The Oakwood Students Ministry combines both Middle School and High School for a night geared toward sharing the Gospel, Worshipping in Unity, and celebrating Jesus as one BIG OSM FAMILY. We usually kick off Back to School, kick off Summer, kick off Believe Weekend, with OSM Nights.
MIDDLE SCHOOL & HIGH SCHOOL
6:30 Opening Game
OSM Worship Band
WHO’S YOUR 1 CHALLENGE
The MSM is back in action 5:30pm to 7:30pm @ the STUDENT PAVILION
5:30 GAGA BALL, BBALL, PIZZA
6PM OPENING GAME/WORSHIP
6:30 EXTREME 4 CORNERS GAME + TALK TIME with Pastor B
7PM SMALL GROUP
When we find the goodness and the sweetness of Shipley Do-Nuts, we have a choice to make. We can keep the goodness to ourselves, or, perhaps, we might love those tasty treats so much, that we want to share the goodness with others.
HOW MANY TIMES DO WE THINK THE OPPOSITE WAY ABOUT THE SWEETNESS OF LIVING FOR JESUS?
The truth of the matter is that living the life for JESUS is GOOD NEWS. This is something that we don’t want to keep for ourselves. We’ve got to give it away.
HOW, DO YOU ASK?
WE SHOW THE LOVE OF JESUS
The essence of who God is… IS LOVE! Read what 1 John has to say about it:
1 John 4:7-8
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
The ultimate reality is that GOD IS LOVE. The self-sacrificing love that is displayed in Jesus Christ is something that no human being can offer without the influence of a personal relationship with Him.
In fact, this LOVE can be the single most important evidence of GOD.
1 John 4:9-10
In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:11-13
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
The sweetness of following JESUS is that HE LOVED US first, and we get to take part in showing that LOVE to others. The beauty of God’s amazing plan is that when we do SHOW THE LOVE OF JESUS, we put GOD on display. That love can even be “perfected in us.”
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
Are you SHOWING THE LOVE OF JESUS?
As we work to connect the amazing SHIPLEY DO-NUT to Spiritual steps in the MSM, we take the second step to think through and realize that this one is a process.
Think about all the brain changes, hormone changes, brace-face changes, school/educational changes, on top of all the cultural and world-wide changes that hover over us on a daily basis. Just the body alone is a growth process and seems to have intentionality within it.
Much like a GOURMET RECIPE for a SHIPLEY DO-NUT, God has a certain WAY of moving in our lives and a PATH for GROWTH spiritually.
1 John Chapter 2 speaks to those who keep HIS WORD as those who find the perfection of GOD’S LOVE. If we live in HIM and walk as JESUS walked, we begin the process of growth.
THIS RECIPE comes with GOD’S WORD or HIS TRUTH. WE GROW WHEN WE KNOW GOD’S TRUTH. In fact, John goes on to say that the “anointing” as reference to the Holy Spirit is what teaches us THE TRUTH.
ARE YOU GROWING IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS?
As a new 6th Grade Parent, I know that this Middle School Phase can be a challenge, especially as you are new at literally everything in the world of school classes, developmental conversations, orthodontics, food intake, and much… much… MORE!!!
This resource is a simple guide to help YOU AS A PARENT focus in on some key needs in the Middle School Phase.
Parenting Your Sixth Grader
MAKE THE MOST OF EVERY PHASE IN YOUR CHILD’S LIFE
You have approximately 936 weeks from the time your child is born until he or she graduates from high school. It goes by fast, and kids change and grow so quickly. It’s as if they change just as you’re starting to figure them out. It all makes the responsibility to shape a child’s faith and character feel overwhelming.
Parenting Your Sixth Grader is a concise guide that simplifies what you need to know about sixth graders in general and offers interactive ways to discover more about your own sixth grader to help you make the most of this phase.
- what’s changing about your child over the next 52 weeks,
- the 6 things your child needs most,
- and 4 conversations to have in this phase.
About the Phase Guides
Parenting Your Sixth Grader is part of a series of books designed especially for busy people. These guides are more than a “journal” but less than a detailed “manual.” Use this book to look ahead at key ways your child will be growing this year: physically, mentally, socially, emotionally, and spiritually. Jot down thoughts and observations to help you make the most of this phase.
For more, check out other books in this series: Don’t Miss It, a concise volume to help you parent every week like it counts, and It’s Just a Phase, an in-depth look at each phase, especially for church leaders. These resources are designed in partnership with Parent Cue (ParentCue.org).
About the Phase Project
The Phase Project, including this guide, is a synthesis of personal experience, academic research, and gatherings of leaders and educational experts from across the child development spectrum.
Step 1 – KNOW
We started off this Promotion Sunday in the Middle School Ministry (MSM) casting vision in a creative way for our three main steps we take in Middle School.
Here you go – KNOW, GROW, SHOW.
Yea, it’s simple, but I believe these are thoughts we need to have as we walk toward making Jesus #1 in our lives.
1 John 5:11-13 Speaks to one aspect of the KNOW step…
“And this is the testimony, that
that God gave us eternal life,
and this life is in his Son.
Whoever has the Son has life;
whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may KNOW that you have eternal life.”
Just like the void of a Do-Nut, we have a GOD-Sized Hole in our hearts that can only be filled with Eternal Life. According to 1 John, it is super simple. JESUS fills that HOLE with ETERNAL LIFE!!!! What I enjoy about John is that he decided to write 1John so that everyone can truly KNOW how to have ETERNAL LIFE.
Do YOU KNOW that you have ETERNAL LIFE?
Great, that is the first step to KNOW, GROW, SHOW.
By the way, we have to give a shout out to Theresa at the Shipley Do-Nut shop on Loop 337. She totally gave us the run of the place and allowed us to take clips to show on Sunday Mornings for this series. I even found myself taking an “impromptu” order for two Kolaches at the window!!!
Here are a few FIRST TIMER TIPS:
- WE MEET DURING THE 9:30am SERVICE If you come at 11:00am, we suggest that your student serves with Oakwood Kids or attends Main Service with the family.
- THE STUDENT PAVILION IS THAT GARAGE LOOKING PLACE AROUND BACK: That is where Middle School Students meet + we give FREE SHIPLEY DO-NUTS, pretty much EVERY SUNDAY.
- You Don’t Check Your Student In. Just send them to the Pavillion!
- You Don’t Check Your Student Out. When our time is over, around 10:40am, students are dismissed and find their parents ON THEIR OWN.
- Plan a MEETING PLACE after MSM Time. Take a moment ahead of time and plan a place to meet up. For example… “Meet us in the Mission Hall” or “We will probably be picking up little Johnny from the Children’s building, so meet us in the foyer” or “Meet us at the car, but don’t get hit by another church member’s car” or “Go ahead and just go home with another loving church family that will feed you and house you and take you to school” (maybe not the last one)
- We have loving Adult Leaders. Every Adult Leader present is happy to help you and your student. We are a team and LOVE YOUR KID TOO!
- During the School Year we break out into Small Groups by Grade and Gender: These Small Groups are Relationally Oriented for group discussion that relates to the Talk Time with Pastor Brandon (Pastor B).
- LASTLY WE LOVE YOU AND YOUR KID: I know this transition is different and can seem overwhelming as a parent or as a new Middle Schooler. With all the stress and Chaos or change, we want to help your student make Jesus #1 in their lives. The truth is… I have seen great movements of God in our Student Ministry and I KNOW without a doubt that He has way more investment in the life or your kid than even You or I do! PASTOR B