When our feelings get us down, God’s truth can pick us back up.
Warm Up: What am I feeling? Write different emotions onto sticky notes for your family members (one for each participant). Without looking at them have each participant place their emotion on their forehead. Ask family members to pair up and guess their “feelings” by acting them out to each other. Rotate around the room and encourage those participating to have fun by overdoing it on the emotional side.
Questions for Follow Up
- When have you felt overwhelmed or down by your emotions?
- How do your feelings tend to shape your day or week?
- How do you think God reacts to our emotions and big feelings?
The Video: Peabod is a hip-hop artist from Seattle, Washington that gets the whole overwhelmed feeling. While most of his music is meant to bring happiness and lightness to life, this song shares a little bit of a different vibe. Play Peabod’s music video for Big Feelings.
List any emotions depicted or experienced in the video while watching. Share your reactions to the video as a family.
In Lamentations, we find someone that can relate to the struggle of being overwhelmed with emotions and feelings that could ruin anyone’s day. Jeremiah shares some raw emotion about his feelings of hopelessness and loss as he reacts to his circumstances around him.
- What feelings and emotions do you see Jeremiah dealing with?
- How do these feelings relate to your own feelings?
- What is it like to feel so down, that you don’t have any hope?
The good news is that while Jeremiah was overwhelmed and hopeless at one moment, he changed his mindset to get him back up.
- How did Jeremiah change his mindset to give him hope?
- What truth about God do you find in these verses?
- What action do you need to take when you are feeling down?
- How can you find hope to get back up again?
Our emotions and feelings can change our outlook on life and get us down for a day, or even a week. However, God’s steadfast love and mercy can get us back up and give us hope no matter the circumstance. When your feelings get the best of you, change your mindset and begin focusing on who God is to get you back up again.
- What is one emotion you’ve felt overwhelmed by recently?
- What is one scripture you can find as a family that God can use to help you the next time you feel overwhelmed?